Family From Afar

About 20 years ago at 11:27am on the 8th of August 1995, Rose my wife and Carry my daughter, left to go to the shop to get some lunch and never returned.
I was looking after my 5 month old granddaughter, Susie then the ground started violently shaking. I try to call Rose and Carry, but there was no answer. I realize I can do nothing until the earthquake is over. I wait, anxiously holding Susie. I go outside to see if any damage has been done I freeze with confusion as everything is ruined except my old wooden cottage.
I walk in and sit down and think to myself there is no way Rose and Carrey have survived. I suddenly start to feel sick as my worst nightmare has come true.
I put Susie in her cot and have a lie down .Then someone knocks at the door it is my friends Earl and Nancy. Nancy was screaming in agony because she had shards of glass in her arm. I run and get my first aid kit while Earl sits down on the couch with her. Earl calms her down and fixes her up until a professional comes.
Susie started crying so I went and picked her up and rocked her, she fell back asleep, I laid her back down. Someone knocked at the door, it was a police officer, he said I had to go with him to the city to identify 2 bodies, that are believed to be Rose and Carrey.
I went In and grabbed Susie. I told Nancy and Earl they could stay. then the police drove me to the city. When I got there they put me in a waiting room with Susie next to me in her pram. They called my name. I walk down a long corridor. They pointed to a room I wheeled Susie into the room and all I can hear is the squeak of Susie’s pram wheel. I look at the bodies and burst into tears. A woman comes in and said they were found under the shop roof.
I fell to the ground crying thinking my life will never be the same. The nurses helped me up and took me to a hospital bed. They gave me a check-up to make sure I was ok after the earthquake. I was fine but to make sure they gave me a blood test about 2 hours later a nurse came in and said I’m fine then she said the police are going to take me home. Earl and Nancy were still there.
Nancy had her arm bandaged up, a doctor from the city came and did it. Earl asked me if it was Rose and Carry I said in a depressed voice “Yes.” I went and put Susie down for a nap then I told Earl and Nancy the whole story.
6 Years Later
It was time for Susie to start school, I took her to class and met her teacher. She seemed very understanding about how Susie is sensitive about talking about mums. Susie got home at 4:05 off the bus stop. She sat on the couch and turned her favourite TV show on and fell asleep.
2 Years Later
I started to get very sick and found out I have cancer.
Susie
12 years later on my 20th birthday granddad fainted and got rushed to hospital in an ambulance, I followed. When I got there he told me there’s a present under his bed. Then I hear an ongoing beeping sound nurses run in and try to resuscitate him. But he didn’t make it. I cried myself to sleep that night .The next day I looked at the book and realized my life will never be the same again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!