Caged

The first thing I am aware of is a cage, a great big glass cage. I feel trapped and alone. I bang on the glass praying and hoping it would break. As I realise my efforts are futile I unfurl my wings and wrap them around myself. It is the only comfort I have in this hell that I seem to be in.
I look around, I appear to be in a museum surrounded by horrifying stuffed creatures I never knew existed. An unwelcome thought enters my mind, “Will I end up like them?” No! I can't think like that, not right now. But it's no use the thoughts haunt me. I bury myself in my wings and begin to cry.
I cry for what feels like hours when suddenly the large wooden doors at the end of the room open and people flood in. I suddenly realise why I’m here. People crowd around my cage and look at me like I'm other worldly. Of course I'm not from another world, I am just like them! I have a family, friends, a life. No let me rephrase that I used to have a life until these close-minded scientists found me and locked me up like I was a beautiful and dangerous creature that could only be looked at through a glass cage. These wings I have, which I cherish, are the only thing that makes me different from them, so why must I be looked at as though I were an alien? I pull my wings back and they disappear behind my back. I won't let them see my wings, because they are greedy people who are envious and jealous of me.
Nestled back in my cage I notice something out of the corner of my eye. I sit up and see a young boy about my age. He is staring at me with a beautiful curiosity, not the usual look of a mixture of fear and questioning that everyone else has on their faces, this is a strange curiosity that I don't think I will ever understand, I look away, ashamed. When I dare to look back at the boy he is gone, an ignorant woman stands in his place reaching across, tapping on the glass.
Strangely I don't see the boy for the rest of the day. Night falls and the museum finally closes. Free from the stares I unfurl my wings. A feeling of bliss floods my body. Suddenly I see something. It's the boy, standing there looking as though he needs to say something, to do something to make things right. As I gaze back I notice he has light brown hair and astonishing green eyes. I stare into them and they stare back at me. Into my soul. Slowly he walks towards the cage and puts his hand on the glass. I put my hand there and feel complete. We stay like that, the boy and I, for what feels like forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!