Tears Of Joy

The long, once lush grass could've caught on fire had it been a degree hotter. But no matter how many rain dances and parades we did, the clouds stayed stubborn. Not a drop out of them. They were arrogant and I knew no matter what it took, I would get the better of them.

Cattle were dying out fast, food was scarce and water was not to be found. Many on the farm had already lived a happy life and were now on the way to the unknown. I had to help, because before I knew it, I would be embraced in hugs in heaven. Slowly, I sat down watching the fading sunset. The hot stone step burnt me. The moon shone brightly in the sky and I felt a sense of relief knowing that the moon could not generate heat. No more heat was necessary, not for me anyway.

I awoke with a splitting headache. The sun had risen early and, at 6:00am was already scorching the thirsty earth. Yesterday, I wore my skimpy dress; today, I wore my bathing suit. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to wear my birthday suit tomorrow. I hated it. I would not let the sun have victory over me.

I had heard old wives' tales about how clouds cry when they laugh. My mum once told me that clouds always think balloons are hysterical. Now my ideas combined to create a mega-mind idea. I raced under the blistering sun. My feet bled and I was drowning in my own sweat. Finally, I reached the dirty, old and mouldy local store. I grabbed as many packets of balloons as I could and raced home, my head drooping with exhaustion.

Against all the odds, I discovered a reservoir of energy that I didn't know existed and started inflating the balloons furiously. Finally, the last balloon was blown. It seemed like years of pumping helium but it only took a mere fraction. Running, I threw the balloons in the air. The balls of colours flew up into the sky like a rainbow with a million shades. Soon, I could see the clouds shaking with laughter, they were going dark and grey. I had to hug myself, for now I was shivering cold. The excessive rain was going to cause a flood!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!