Never Ending Story

I remember it as if it was yesterday. I was going past a cave when I thought, ‘What was in there?’ So I looked in. It was an underground water cave! I ran home and got my togs so I could go swimming. When I got back, I noticed a sign saying ‘WARNING’ but I ignored it.
As soon as I swam into the cave and treaded water, I saw a pirate hiding under a shelf of rocks. He was hiding; he kept looking about secretively. I don’t think he saw me but he looked familiar.
My mum had told me a bedtime story many years ago about a friendly pirate that lived in some caves near us when he wasn’t on the high seas. He stashed his treasure there. He had put up a warning sign to keep people out. The way she had described the pirate made me think it was him. But could that be right? Wasn’t it just a story?
I saw he had a crystal ball! In it, he saw I was in trouble because of a shark! The shark was circling around me. The pirate turned and looked into the darkness. He peered closer. I think he had seen my blond hair shimmering with sea-salt. I put my arms in the air and waved. I just saw a shadow in the water. Maybe this is the shark seen in the crystal ball?
I said, “Please help me! I’m in trouble!”
Then he shouted, “I’ll save you. I need my golden lasso.”
So he opened a chest and out flew a lasso. A golden, magical lasso. It looped around my waist and then he pulled me out of the water near him. That shark couldn’t get me now.
I thanked him. He looked at me; I looked at him. “You look familiar,” we both said at the same time. We laughed. I explained that he looked like a pirate my mum had told me about but I thought it was just a story. He told me that I looked like a girl he used to know – she once saved him from the same shark. The shark is MUCH bigger now. He had become very good friends with that girl but over the years, they lost contact when she went to boarding school.
“That is my mum, cause she went to boarding school.”
“You look like your mum.”
We sat there and talked – I think he was lonely so I gave him my mobile phone number.
I visited him often but I didn’t tell anyone because I felt they wouldn’t believe me about my pirate friend. Eventually, I finished school, got a job and had a family of my own. My visits grew fewer and fewer.
I never told my family about my pirate friend but ten years later, my little girl told me a made-up story about a pirate who lives in a sea-side cave…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!