I Lost Mum's $200

Where is it? Where is it? Where is it? I pulled out my pockets but there was only a paper clip, rubber, pencil and glue stick that I had put in yesterday for school. BUT NO CASH!!! I know I had it. Wait…
Mum told me to go get a bright, colourful birdcage for our new lorikeet. So she gave me $300. But I knew it was only going to cost $100 because I have gone to that animal store a lot of times.
I started strolling down to the animal store and when I got there I went in to look for the exact birdcage that mum wanted. I saw the best one and I thought mum would love it. So I picked it up and carried it over to the counter.
I paid for it and she gave me the birdcage and the change. But I didn’t put the money in my pocket. Oh no ... I couldn’t carry the birdcage because it was so heavy and the change. I would have dropped it but I had to get it home. I slowly walked home dragging the cage behind me.
I walked home and when I got there and went to give mum the change. I searched my pockets. Nothing! Fortunately mum was so busy helping Abby with her homework (of course she didn’t want to do it) that she didn’t even see me come in. I went straight into my room and started drawing a big grey map of where I had been today. After I did that I went to the kitchen for dinner.
I was really nervous but I was so hungry that I sat down to have dinner - it was cheese and ham pizza with juice. When I sat down mum asked me for our bright colourful birdcage. I said I would give it to her after dinner.
After dinner I gave mum the big birdcage but she didn’t ask how much it cost. Then I went to bed but the weird thing was that I dreamt about mum finding out that I lost the $200. When I woke up I said to myself, “Thank goodness that wasn’t real”.
I strutted into the kitchen still half asleep and had my weetbix for breakfast. I went into mum’s room to tell her that I was going into town and she said it would be fine.
I skipped all the way to the animal shelter and travelled home by following the same track that I took yesterday.
There it was! Mum’s $200 - wait it was only $100. Uh no ... I kept tracing my steps and across the street I saw it. The other $100. I ran as fast as I could with the wind in my face. I picked it up and I was so glad I found it.
I ran to the house when I got home I said to mum, “Sorry mum, I forgot to give you the change yesterday”.
“Thanks”, she replied happily.
I ran off to my bed, jumped in and cozied up in my blankets.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!