The Anklet

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

“So here’s your room where you will be staying. Any questions?”
“Urn, no, thank y-”
“Ok, goodbye,” and with that, Mrs Roth turned around and hurried out of the room, a dead expression set on her face.
“Good afternoon to you too,” Brooke said sarcastically as she took off her bag and dumped it onto a bed full of dust. “So this is where I will be stayin’ ha?” she said to herself, looking around the room, unimpressed.
Brooke looked at her watch worriedly and realised that it was class time. “Oh shoot, I’ve gotta get ready” and quickly collected her stuff and thought of being the best in her class. Her scruffy brown hair and light brown eyes dancing in the moonlight. Suddenly, she heard a bang coming from the doorway. She realised it was Mrs Roth coming in with an unusual smile upon her face.
“You’re not going, anywhere!”...
“Wh-why Mrs Roth-”
“Don’t question me, just put your bag down, take a seat and listen to me.”
“Urn, ok-”
“Now, today I’m going to give you something that you mustn’t tell a soul, not even a fly!” she yelled as she pointed a finger at her and pursed her lips. “Have I made myself clear?”
“Yes, crystal-!”
“Ok” she said, calming down. “An anklet” she announced.
“I’m sorry?”
“Every year, we get a star student to dance in the competition, well this year it’s you-”
“Yeah”
“Well, we don’t know how good you are, but we haven’t won in over 6 years now, so we’re willing to take every chance of victory we can get! Our scientist, Bob, has invented an anklet that allows one to dance with passion, and excel! They will dance so beautifully, the judges will have to pick them! You will win!” “But Mrs Roth, don’t you want to win without cheating?” Brooke asked confused.
“Ha, who said it’s cheating darl? Besides, how else are we gonna win?” laughed Mrs Roth as she threw the anklet over her head and ran out of the room before Brooke could change her mind.
Brooke ran over, picked it up, and put it on....
One month later
It was the day of the competition, and Brooke was ready and if she wasn’t, well, she had to be because she had the anklet. She was waiting eagerly at the back of the stage, ready and pumped.
“Brook?” The judges had called her name. It was time. It was her day. Her day to shine. She walked onto the stage, looking at her ankle, making sure the anklet was secure. She took a deep breath, and then... she danced. It felt amazing. The judges and all of her surroundings were blurred, she was just dancing. Suddenly, that amazing feeling stopped, and everything came into view.
Brooke heard quiet whispers from the judges as they looked at her. They had finally made a decision and called all of the other dancers to the stage. “We have made a decision, and the winner is-
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!