Nelly's Diary

Monday - Dear Diary, my name is Nelly and I’m a numbat that lives in Weston Australia. I live at 42 Rock Gorge with my mum, brother Nathon and my Dad. There is such a big community of numbats here, Mrs and Mr Nickerbocker started up a school in a huge hollow tree. I don’t even have to pack lunch every day because there is a termite colony in the playground. School was boring until the Ant Finding Athletics started I got first place in all the races. That is all for today.
Tuesday - During lunch break at school, everybody was talking about the strange rumbling noise we heard in the night. A low rumble began at the same time a big yellow object roared over the dusty horizon. It sifted through the bush land heading straight for the school!! I hear the screams of the other terrified numbats. I scooped up my bag and fled through the scrambling disarray of my classmates. The noise gets louder and louder. I race home, my heart was leaping out of my chest. No-one was there. I called and called but there was no reply. Then I started running until I could no longer hear the rumbling. I am still panting as I write this.
Wednesday - How long did I sleep? Who knows? Who cares? I am hear now, away from the rumbling and away from home. Slowly, my eyes adjust to the early morning light. I am not sure where I am, somewhere where the ants and termite nests are high and there is water, cool and fresh. I saw an empty log and headed for it, I am writing as I sit in it. I am still worried about the rest of my family and friends.
Thursday - “Ooow, arhh, eech,” I splutter, as I am kicked and shacked. “Lay Off!” I growled. I looked up and I saw three numbats I have seen before Mum, Dad and Nathon. I am so relieved, I started hugging them…. even Nathon. We spent the rest of the day making the log into our new home
Friday - It’s great to be back with my family and have a home again. I still don’t know how my Mum and Dad got here. We had some ants for lunch they are so big and juicy here. No wonder there are so many numbats living here.
Saturday - I found out the local game here is called twigbat. I was very good at it and my team won. Then I ate a nice watercress salad. I heard more rumbles and grumbles tonight and Mum said it was a storm, but I think somethings up.
Sunday - This morning on my run, I saw an unbelievable sight. Lots of big objects that were parked together, some had writing that said ‘Caterpillar’. After I saw it, I scampered back to my log house. I started to tell everybody what I saw. An old lady numbat muttered something that sounded like ‘Machins’. Minutes later, my family and I were trying to escape the jaws of a mach…
This diary was discovered at an old mine site. The rest of this diary was never found and people still wonder what happened to Nelly, her family and the numbat colony.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!