Conquer

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Slice! My swinging silver misses it by a hair’s breath, by millimetres. It is gigantic, it is nasty and it is a snarling monster. I swing again, ignoring the pounding of the scorching sun. I stab rashly at the soft underbelly, whist it’s regaining balance; overextending my arm; it jumps above my sword. It is a nimble cat that lightly lands on the uneven terrain, ready and prepared with a counterattack. I try to dodge and fumble on my two left feet. Crack! The sound of my poor arm bones and ribcage after being hit. Why again, did I try to slay a dragon?
I am someone who is ordinary. I am not a hero, not a villain or Einstein. I am just your average Joe who, eats regular food in a mediocre routine. I try as hard as I wish sometimes succeeding and sometimes giving up. I usually blame my surrounds for my weaknesses. I am a humble hamster, terribly tiny, compared to the wide world.
Pain drags me back from walloping in my own thoughts, I can’t move. That hit did a real number on me. The dragon stares at me, believing I am dead then, falls into a deep slumber. I try to stand up, but I can’t move.
“Why even bother?” I thought.
I cannot beat the impossible reality in front of me, it’s a pipeline dream. The sun will rise in the west before I defeat this monstrosity.
I observe the dragon. It is a foul beast, unkempt and resting contently. Seeing it so content reminds me of that person.
Now, I remember that person’s last words, “Friendship, hard and victory are the themes of life. Don’t you ever forget even when you are suffering in your darkest hour, there is always a light leading to the new day”.
My face twitches into a smile whilst, remembering their last words. These words empower me to try. I painstakingly force my body to move towards the exit as I watch the dragon. It never wakes up and I escape. I rest until I am fully healed, eat then, gear up for the next confrontation. I am armed to the teeth with my sword, grenades, and other whatchamacallits from a military compound. I prepare extra weapons for the, next battle, the next, next one, and the following one after that one. I am being a stubborn ox, not accepting reality just like that, person. They display confidence in whatever they were doing not caring if the problem was mental, physical or both. They try, try again and keep trying until, they conquer the problem, never giving up.
I do last minute adjustments to my blades, forging them for the situation ahead. I must keep trying to defeat that dragon no matter what. I still have to defeat as many dragons as there are stars in the night sky.
I depart to face my dragon, my life obstacle and I’m prepared for the ones after, I will conquer.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!