Blind Sorrow

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

“Cassie?” My name cuts through the tranquil blanket of white noise surrounding me. I startle at someone speaking in such a vexatious voice.
“What?” I peevishly snap back.
“I am Doctor Martin. Please follow me now. ”
I remain seated.
“Cassie… Please?”
The scratching of a pen on paper brings me to my feet and I stretch out towards the wall.
“Thank you, Cassie.”
The wall feels cold as I touch it, as if it is repelling me. I slowly make my way down the hospital corridor like a timid bird.
“Come on Cassie – hurry - that door on your left.”
I grunt as I enter the room; my rancor fueled by my inability to be perceived as an equal human. Doctor Martin stands at the door writing slowly on what I now presume to be a notepad. I turn toward him, my heart beating loudly in the sudden silence.
“Sit down Cassie. I’ll be with you shortly… that’s the seat on your left.”
Indignantly I saunter to the seat, rage boiling inside me.
“Ok Cassie – so it’s time - to sort things out for you.”
“Go away!” I roar at him. I let the anger come, I let the fire rage within by belly.
“Hmm,” Doctor Martin murmurs quietly. Doctor Martin’s response cuts into me like a keen knife; so much more powerful than a fiery rage. I hear him write in his forever present notebook again. Oh, how I crave to watch that notebook burn. To see my life rewritten in a new book.
“All right Cassie. Do you want to talk to me?”
I remain silent, searching inside myself for an answer that I know will not come.
“It’s OK Cassie, I only want to help you. Do you remember what happened?” I feel my neck muscles tighten with the question and my heart starts to ache in a terrible throbbing way. I nod slowly. Tears begin to form as soft footsteps enter the room.
“I was told.” I speak softly as if I was fantasising something far away.
“Cassie, we must legally have a guardian to look after you, and so we have arranged someone.” I cry with passion now, my heart breaking.
Then a strong, firm hand squeezes my shoulder. I hold my breath hoping it might be who I’m imagining.
“Cassie.”
There is only one person in the world who could pronounce my name with so much affection. Grandfather.
“I am sorry about Mum and Dad, a car crash is always unfortunate. I am sorry, about everything. But ever since you were born without sight, you have been the strongest person I have ever known.” I curl myself into Grandfather’s arms and sob into his chest.
Quietly I bring my face closer and mutter into his ear. “Will you stay with me?”
“Yes”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!