Was Her Name

A creamy, scrumptious taste flowed through Juliet’s taste buds. The marshmallows were perfect. Juliet’s face drooped as she remembered her brother telling her how much he was going to miss her. Everyone was singing around the blazes as the campfire expanded. Smelling the burnt twigs as they hit the flare, Juliet trembled at the sight of a bushfire out in the woodland. Blazes were spreading and the sight was getting clearer to her bloodshot eyes. Her legs slowly rose until her back was as straight as a book cover, warning her fellow companions, as they were not aware at that moment, they froze and didn’t know what to do. She took deep breaths as the disastrous fire was advancing towards them. She was frozen to the spot, too terrified to move. The students finally took notice but it was too late. It was here and there was no turning back.
The balls of flames shot into the air like sharp, wooden spears. Piercing screams filled her ears and sights of fear and panic ran through everyone’s minds. The uncontrolled disaster tore away everything in its path. Running in terror, the blazes were too high and too strong. They were trapped in a force field of thick, black smoke.
Juliet’s eyes slowly faded away. Her lungs became tight and her thoughts became saddened. She could hear the sound of her fluffy dog yapping into her eardrums. She remembered her mum’s voice reaching towards her. She let go.
After the fire had been controlled, the tall rescuer in uniform asked the camp leader, “What was her name?”
Right then and there, their faces drooped at the sight of Juliet’s soul.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!