Safe And Sound

I open my eyes and am scared to see a monstrous eye gazing in on me through the window. It’s probably a dream but I hear a crashing sound and the walls are closing in. This is no time to wait. I rush to the door but a huge wall of wood and tiles falls into my way. I push my way past, getting multiple splinters, but keep running. Now the furniture is pushing in, though I am homeless so I had to get things from the dump and luckily all I could carry back was soft. I slide under the bed that was in the abandoned apartment when I started living here, and get to the door dodging falling floorboards. I roll down the stairs and ‘THUD’.

I’m dead. I’m too young to die! I’m only twelve. I’ve been living on my own for two years now. My mother died when I was ten. [We both knew it would happen some day soon]. I hear something, probably the sound of me flying to heaven. Can I open my eyes? I’m not sure I want to but I’ll try and… it looks exactly the same as home! It is home! And it still has the Giant! Better run.

Cars are being squashed and kicked around and to get away I have to climb over them. I’m really scared now. [I think I’m cursed]. All I can hear are screams as people run from the hideous beast destroying their homes. I run for miles, sounds ringing through my head. I finally come to a halt in an abandoned town and walk around in and out of allyways. The giant is nowhere to be seen. I am so thirsty.

I stop suddenly when I see a mysterious shadow. I turn to run but feel I have to check if the shadow is gone. It’s not. It’s in exactly the same place, but now it is pointing down the alleyway. I follow its direction and realise it‘s a stupid idea to follow a bodiless shadow. When I turn around the shadow has moved. It is pointing down the main street now. Again, being the adventurous girl that I am, I follow the shadow down the street, forgetting how scared I am. I turn around and realise there is a tap. After a long drink, I notice the shadow has moved onto a large building. I walk inside a huge room with nothing in it leading to a smaller room with only a key on the floor and a locked door. I use the key to open the door and inside is a room full of money! I pick up a handful and rush out the door.

When I get outside the shadow has changed. Now it has a long mane of hair. I rush up to the wall and attempt to hug the shadow. I feel warm and safe as if the shadow is hugging me back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!