Half A Heart

I'm Amber, I'm 15 and I still read fairy tales. I'm different to everyone else. My dad died when I was 6 and my mum has never been the same since. You could say that it’s like true love falling apart, that she only has half a heart left. I on the other hand, went back to what I did with my dad. Reading fairy tales. Since then I have grown to understand the true meaning of story. That it isn't real. I have also learnt that true love is only in fairy tales. My heart is broken for my mother. When I was younger I made cookies out of play doh to make her feel better. She would always "eat” it and laugh when I made a joke. She would be my "Santa". But now I know that was just a show, a play that I watched over and over again. For my birthday two years ago, instead of a phone I got this. My mother’s broken heart. A huge weight that I have to carry on my shoulders. That is almost unbearable. The only thing that keeps me going is that I know that if I can do this, then I must be able to do anything. My theory turned out to be wrong. I could do a lot of things, but the one thing I couldn't do, was to find a way to save Cameron. Cameron was different. He was kind and helpful. He was able to take the weight of my shoulder for a couple of minutes. Then last year he died in a car crash. Now between me and my mum, we only have 1 heart and two very heavy weights that no one can lift.
The fairy tales that I read let me escape. I escape to a new world, a better world. A world I can enjoy. This world is the opposite of mine, I can’t enjoy my world. My time is spent trying to hold that weight. It’s like running down a tunnel, knowing there is no end. Before there was a small light, Cameron. Now that light has stopped glowing and has gone to heaven. My life is hell. And I don’t know how to fix it, or even if I knew, if I could do it by myself.
My mum is like a robot. Doing what she has to then turns into a statue on the couch, staring at the TV that isn’t even on. I wish I could do that. I have to do things so we can still live. Not that I want to live, but that’s what I do. I have to work at the tiny café down the street and go to school. I have to shop for food and cook. I have to take care of mum, even when it should be the other way around. I wish my life was different but that’s how it is. My life with only Half a Heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!