A Hero's Mistake

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

A brick wall shielded me against rapid gunfire. Each fragment that chipped off made me worry for my life. If I hadn't tried to interfere all those years ago, then maybe I wouldn't have made my mistake. If I had let the police do their jobs, then I wouldn't have to worry about an aggravated mercenary with super strength and a machine gun coming after my head. Roughly thirty seconds passed until she ran out of bullets, so I took the opportunity to dash out from behind the wall and throw a smoke pellet. I should have known that she would see through the smoke screen. Charging forward, she grabbed me by my neck and shoved me against a concrete wall.
“You’re done for. Elliot Tate sends his regards”
Five seconds is all I had. Five seconds before I passed out and suffocated. Five seconds to get my Taser and use it on this freak.
4…3…2… -- I didn't wait for the last second. Two charged probes made contact with her skin at a dangerously close range that sent 1200 volts of electricity running through her body, causing muscle contractions which forced her to let go. The cops warned me that something like this would happen. They told me that I should've stopped my vigilantism before civilians got hurt, before I made a mistake I couldn't fix. I should have listened to them.
I discharged the Taser but it didn't take long for her to get back up. I moved as fast as I could. Survival was my top priority.
“Stop running Raptor! Face your mistake. That building, those people… Countless families including Elliot Tate’s and my own were destroyed that day because of you!”
I slowed pace to think about it. Maybe she was right. I ran into that building. I endangered those hostages, and I chose to only save myself. 328 people died because I chose to ignore the law. 328 people died because of my arrogance.
“You've stopped running now. If this is your surrender, time to die!”
She became infuriated. Her exponential aggression distorted her face, making her seem more inhuman with every passing minute. To win this fight, I’d have to go all out. Experience made me the superior combatant, but I had to be able to push through the pain of her hits or I was going to get put down permanently. I thought hard for a minute until I finally had an idea. Sprinting as far back as my legs would take me; I released a pair of bolas from my belt. Rage took over her mind as she charged towards me. With little time to spare, I tossed the bolas at her, making her trip and hit her head, knocking her unconscious. Using leftover rope, I tied her up and left a voice recording nearby that linked Elliot Tate to the attack. I saved hundreds of lives that would have been ruined because of her. My penance was paid.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!