Determined Detective

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

BOOM! The dark was blanketed above me. Merciless, luminous bursts of lightning emitted from the binding, black, ominous clouds crackled and rocketed down on the innocent, once serene location. Various tumultuous clamours lingered everlastingly in the air. Disturbed canines nearby, howled in utter horror at the booming, deafening crashes of the superior combination of thunder and lightning. It was a full moon tonight. I approached the towering steel door hesitantly, sending a surge of chill through my trembling hand as I touched it .The torrential downpour which slashed through the atmosphere like a lance, made the coldness achieve its zenith. There was severe deluge. I rapidly swung the door open, grunting as I countered it with my own weight, hoping that it was slightly warmer in the abandoned house. Being a detective I was urged to examine a murder scene. It was cordoned off only to permit me inside.
I observed the house where the killing took place. The winding corridor resembled a dark, never ending pit, a black hole. I whipped out a magnifying glass. Corrugated floorboards smeared with crimson blood lay in front of me. It smelt repulsive. Draped with a cloak as black as smouldering charcoal I gradually plodded forward. I peered warily around a corner and saw swiveled chemistry bottles that were once brimming with lethal concoctions and potions. Suddenly a flame emerged from the ground. A cherry coloured flame. It wrapped its vicious, scorching ribbons around me. I was engulfed entirely. Burning fear concealed me. I ran, bolting outside. Luckily it was persisting to rain. The cold, pricking needles extinguished the raging fire. Miraculously, I only suffered minor burns. Trembling from the freshness and fear I wished I was lounging on my recliner, comforted by radiating heat from the fire place. Thinking about the fire, I was beginning to feel lethargic. Giving up was seeming to be a good option. No. Not now.
Mustering the courage with a charred face and now tattered cloak, I entered again. There was no doubt about it. The murderer was looming menacingly somewhere in the shadow. He had lit the fire with a match, the wispy silhouette darted through the shadows. Discovering new found courage I brandished a sleek ebony pistol. Poising my finger over the trigger I shot. THUMP! The body fell. I retrieved it. Blood was surging out of the leg. A sly smile played across his vile features. I hefted him onto my back, he was dazed by shock. The hospital nursed the atrocious murderer back to life. He was sentenced to 10 years gaol.
My faithful accomplice questioned me how I had captured the killer. I replied jokingly “It was elementary my dear Watson.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!