Ghost House

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. I woke up to the sound of my annoying alarm clock. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. The alarm clock stopped beeping and I got out of bed and began to get ready for another boring day.
I decided that today would be different. I would set off for an adventure! I strolled down the road until I stopped in front of a house which I walk past every day and was covered in dead vines. I also noticed that everything was dead and the garden was bare. In the front yard, stood a huge tree, strangely it was the only thing alive and green. It was absolutely beautiful. I decided to go inside. I knocked on the front door but there was no answer. It looked like no-one had visited the house for a very long time. The door was open and I peered in. the walls of the house were covered with portraits of people. They looked very creepy and gave me shivers. As I flashed my torch further, I saw a beautiful painting of a tree and realized it was the tree I saw outside in the front yard. As I looked closer, I noticed there were children in the painting and they were sitting on the tree and they looked very sad.
As I walked further down the dark and creepy hallway, something stopped me in my tracks. “Mackenzie, Mackenzie.” Someone was calling my name and I was scared stiff, too scared to take a step further. I decided to turn around and race out the front door, but I was frozen, my legs wouldn’t move. That’s when I saw it. It looked like a ghost, not one but three! They were staring at me and I remembered the three children in the painting on the wall sitting in the tree, it looked exactly like them. I was so scared and screamed, but no sounds came out of my mouth. Instead I managed to move my legs and ran out the front door and on to the street outside. It was then I realized I should have filmed it all as I probably would have been famous. I can picture it already… MACKENZIE, the first person in the world to film a ghost, now that would have been cool.
After a deep breath, I decided to walk back inside as it was scary, but also, very exciting! I reached the front door and there they were, the three children, standing in front of me, and they were all ghosts! For some reason, I wasn’t afraid this time. “MACKENZIE, MACKENZIE, help us, please help us.” They pointed at the painting and then at the tree. I flashed my torch at the painting and took a closer look at it. This time I noticed that one of the children was holding a hammer and a nail and there were planks of wood nailed to the tree.
They were building a tree house. I remember seeing planks of wood next to the tree outside. I turned to the ghosts, “What happened to the tree house?” I asked softly.
One of the ghosts picked up a very old antique vase and dropped it to the floor and it shattered into a million pieces. The ghost pointed to the branches of the tree where the tree house had once stood. “It smashed to smithereens,” I asked. All three ghosts nodded.
“So you were building a tree house up in that magnificent tree in the front yard and tree house fell down with all of you in it, killing you instantly, you never had a chance to escape and you were trapped under the wooden planks forever.” Your soles were never released to go to heaven and this is why you are so sad. Are you waiting for someone to free you?” the ghosts nodded again and told me that the only way to free their soles would be to chop the magnificent tree down in the front yard. I told them, I would be happy to free them and they led me to a shed in the back yard where I found an axe and started chopping down the tree. It had taken me almost all day to chop the tree down and all I had to do was chop the very last bit of the tee trunk. I was very nervous as I was worried the tee could land on me and I would be crushed. Instead, the tree fell away from me into the yard and I was not hurt. As soon as this happened, I saw the ghosts float into the sky up to heaven. I was so happy I could help them and they too, kept saying, “Thank you, thank you Mackenzie, now we are free and we will go to heaven where we belong. You are very brave for not being afraid.” Then before I knew it, they were gone.
It has been a long time since my adventure to the ‘scary house’ down the street. I am now much older and adult life is no longer boring. I have adventures every day. Sometimes at night I hear my name being called out, but I am not afraid. I think it’s the ghosts thanking me, but I will never know.
The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!