Engulfed In Flames

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

The nineteen-year-old brunette glanced at her watch. Realizing it was already midnight, she increased her speed; the sleek Holden sped through the night over the empty highway. It was a chilly, starless night and Kalysta leaned forward to flick on the heater. Very soon, drowsiness overtook her, and everything went dark.
Kalysta jerked awake. How long had she been asleep? Her senses flared as she realized the car had begun to spin wildly. Kalysta jammed her foot onto the brakes, but it was too late now, and the car suddenly plunged down a hill and began to roll. Sparks jumped off the roof, tires squealed and windscreens smashed. After what seemed like forever, friction brought the shiny Holden to a standstill on its roof.
Aware that she was badly injured, Kalysta weakly attempted to lift one hand. As her hand made contact with her head, pain penetrated through her body. Kalysta gasped and then froze when she felt sticky blood trickling down her face. She knew that she had to get help, as her life was now a ticking time bomb.
Nevertheless, the highway remained ghastly still. No help came her way.
Finally, it was clear that she had to save herself. Kalysta began the painstaking process of heaving her solid, sturdy frame around to reach the plastic lock on the door. As she did, intense pain shot through her shoulder, and she cried out. Twisting her body completely, she ignored the pounding pain, and at last her fingers closed around the lock. Wrenching the lock free, she struggled to release the door. It refused to budge.
Kalysta leaned back and sighed. She was ready to give up when her nose caught the scent of a queer smell. It was the sharp odor of gasoline seeping through her car. In just a few minutes, flames would engulf her car entirely. Intense heat began to waft through the air, and smoke seared Kalysta’s lungs.
Having no idea what to do next, she moaned and slipped her hand into her pocket where it alighted onto her forgotten phone. She was saved! Overjoyed, she dialed the ambulance and fire
department. “Hello, what service do you need?” A male voice inquired. “I need an ambulance and a fire engine. I have major injuries and my ear is ready to blow up. And I’m still stuck inside!” Kalysta was close to tears.
The voice spoke up again. “An ambulance and fire engine will be sent your way soon. What is your location?” Scanning the words of a nearby sign, she slowly repeated the address through her phone. Three minutes later, sirens came screaming down the highway. Two firefighters dashed over to pry the door loose. It burst open, and Kalysta took deep breaths of the fresh, night air.
She was then sent to hospital to receive treatment for a bruised shoulder and an injured head. Her family and friends came to visit, and they were exceedingly thankful that she hadn’t died.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!