The Guardian Angel

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Normally stories start with ‘Once upon a time’ or ‘Once there was’ but this story starts with Alexa, motherless and stuck with the nickname ‘Raven’.
Just a normal girl with jet black hair and green eyes, who is just trying to fit in.
She stared in the mirror, ‘pony tail, or pig tales? Nope just free fall.’
She jumped down the stairs and made toast. Today was just like any normal day. She meets Max, goes to school, learns some stuff, gets picked on and comes home. Well that’s her normal day anyway. She has tried different looks, like cowgirl Alexa, safari Alexa and much more but none have stopped her getting noticed. Today she was going with casual. She and Max walked to school.
She was up to getting picked on today, when she saw a glint in the corner of her eye, it was a silhouette of an elegant lady, much like her mother.
When she turned around, it was like nothing had ever been there.
“That looks better on a camel than you.” Alexa swivelled around and watched as Lillian walked over.
“Cat got your tongue Raven?” the other girls laughed in unison with Lillian.
Max was there too.
“Max?” Alexa called horrified. Alexa had known Max since kinder.
“Oh, do you know her? Well she’s our newest member,” teased Lillian.
“But how...how can you? I can put up with Lillian teasing me, but not you!” she cried to Max.
“I’m sorry Alexa. I, I just had too, they threatened to tell my secret to everyone,” Max pleaded. Alexa’s eyes were blurry with tears and she swore she saw a woman behind Lillian. She had a blue hue to her, like an angel.
Alexa ran home and sat in her room and cried.
“Sweetie, are you alright?” her dad called form the kitchen.
“Yeah!” she didn’t really want to talk about this with her father, he doesn¹t understand. She soon fell into a fitful sleep. “You don¹t have to put up with them you know,” there was a woman standing in her room. She had brown, flowing locks and blue eyes. “You need to stand up for yourself, or they will never stop,” she smiled a warm smile. “I’m your guardian angel and your mother.” “You’re my mother’s but you¹re dead?” Alexa said, astounded.
“Of course,” her mum smiled. “Tomorrow, stand up for yourself and get Max
back,” and with that, she was gone.
“WHAT’S WITH YOU?”Alexa was in a daze and snapped to attention to find
Lillian glaring at her with a death stare.
“What do you mean?” she replied.
“You look at me when I’m talking to you!” Lillian snorted.
“I’m sorry,” but then she remembered her mother. “Your words can’t hurt me and I don¹t care!” Alexa retorted and ran off.
Later in her room…
“I did what you said today mum,” Alexa said.
“Good, I’ll watch over you sweetie,” and with that, she was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!