What Was That?

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Ten years ago in a small town called Villawood there was a five year old boy named Josh. Josh lived with his mum, dad and brother Greg. Josh believed in trolls, so whenever he heard a creak outside he would call his mum and say “Mum, what was that?” Then his mum would say “It probably was a bird.” Sometimes Greg would rush in and say “It’s a troll that probably wants to eat you!” He was only trying to scare Josh. It would always work because Josh would hide under his bed covers and would fall asleep no matter how hot the room was.
Five years later when Josh was ten he was still determined to prove that trolls were real. One night when Josh had built up more bravery, he slowly walked outside and turned on his torch, shining it into the dark. He saw some white eyes staring back at him. Whatever it was stared at him for a while, then started to walk towards him. Josh slowly started to back away, not daring to look away. Just then, Josh’s mum came outside and said “Time to go to bed now!” The troll quickly whizzed away out of sight. “Mum, you scared the troll away!” Josh said. “There’s no such thing as trolls” said Greg.
Josh was furious that nobody ever believed him. ‘That’s it’ thought Josh, ‘I’m going to get proof.’ A few days later he set off on an adventure to find the trolls. Little did he know that he’d forgotten to tell his mum and dad and what danger lay ahead of him.
Outside of an old house there was a ring. Josh picked it up and put it on his finger. He thought to himself ‘This could come in handy.’
Back in Villawood, there was a raid of trolls and they took all the families in the town to their cave, including Josh’s.
Finally Josh reached a cold, dark, damp cave. Josh slowly approached it. He walked in and as his eyes adjusted he saw everyone in the town, including his own family! Josh slowly approached them when a neighbour that had a gag over his mouth went “UMM MMMM UMMM.” Josh turned around and saw all the trolls walking towards him. What was he supposed to do?
Just then, the ring he found kicked into action. BAM! He had kicked a troll dead. WHACK! He punched another troll dead. BAM! WHACK! BOOM! He smashed the ground and all of the trolls died. Josh had saved the townspeople! He untied them and the townspeople cried “Three cheers for Josh! Hip, hip hooray, hip, hip hooray, hip, hip hooray!”
Back at Villawood, Josh got a reward. When he saw his mum and dad, he hugged them. He tried to say hi to Greg, but he did not listen. Greg is really annoying. The worst thing now is when Greg says what Josh used to say: “What was that?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!