The Day I Flew To The Moon!

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

It was a normal day, nothing special. It wasn’t Christmas or anything. Just a normal 19th of September. It started the way any day would in my house...
“Up and at ‘em sunshine. Today’s the day Hannah. You’re going to the moon!” my Mum sang loudly.
“Mum that might’ve worked when I was two, but not anymore, I’m kinda twelve” I replied.
“Stop it Hannah. You know it’s my dream,” my Mum said. “Oh and your bus leaves in ten minutes.”
“Sure, sure. Wait. WHAT!?” I screamed, lifting my head off the pillow.
Ten minutes later I’m standing outside my house with a piece of toast in my mouth and braiding my hair. I glanced down to look at my watch. It read 08:14 AM. One minute left. My watch changed to 08:15 AM, and I heard my bus coming. I needed to signal it. Both my hands and my mouth were in use. Looking around I noticed a soccer ball about 1 metre away from where I stood. I reached out with my foot and the tip of my big toe just touched it. I rolled it back to my feet. I turned to look down the street. Through a bush I could see my bus. “It’s getting closer,” I thought to myself. I only had one chance at this. I slipped my foot under the ball and flicked it up. The bus stopped and the bus driver watched as my ball flew through the air, but I didn’t notice him. The ball bounced of a wall and then rolled to the back of my feet.
“Nice trick,” the bus driver laughed. I rolled my eyes. As if.
“Thanks. I’m practicing for the Olympic Games,” I replied sarcastically. I stepped into the bus and showed the bus driver my Smart Rider Card. “To Diamond Falls Primary School,” I said, walking to the back of the bus away from the old people.
“I have an announcement class!” Mrs Woodcliff exclaimed. This better be good. “We’re going to do a topic for science about the moon!”
Silence. I think I even heard some crickets chirping. It wasn’t a popular topic.
“Does anyone know anything about the moon?” Mrs Woodcliff asked. I looked around the room. One hand up. It was Archer’s. My enemy.
“Yes Archer?”
“I know that girls can’t go to the moon,” Archer said, acting all smart.
“And why is that?” Mrs Woodcliff asked.
“Too dumb. They’re too dumb,” Archer replied. That’s it, I’ve had I with him.
“NO! GIRLS ARE NOT DUMB! I’M GOING TO THE MOON!” I called out.
“When Miss Smarty Pants?” Archer called back to me. “NOW!!!” I screamed. That was it, I had it out.
“The only you’ll be going is the office Hannah!” Mrs Woodcliff cried. I don’t think she likes me. I started running out of class and into the hall, but I wasn’t going to the office; I was going to the moon!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!