It’s morning time in the scorching hot outback, in a little place called Tullibigeal. Pop and I are in the middle of the paddock, rounding up the sheep to get the shearing done. We have 368 sheep to be shorn. There are 8 shearers coming out. When they turn up, they start putting on their moccasins and oiling their handpieces ready for the first run. The clock ticks over to 7:30 and the noise starts.
The eight shearers are bent over their slings, one, two, three sheep, on and on till the run is done. It’s smoko time and the shearers are all around the shed. It’s time to get some more sheep in; I take the two dogs Lace and Woody to help get them into the yards. It takes about 5 minutes to get the sheep in and then the shearers start again.
They shear in the hot shed with sweat running down their faces and soaking into their singlets. They are shearing fast and don’t slow down until it’s knock off time. They still had 50 sheep left in the yards at the end of the day but the boss called “We’ll get ‘em tomorrow boys”.
The next morning the shearers are at the shed bright and early. They are finishing up the last few sheep just in time for smoko. We got 49 bales of bury wool. The truck is coming the next day to pick up the wool. For the wool we will get $1,300 in the bank.
The next week we found eight sheep we had missed from the week before. Buggars must have gone walk about. So pop and I got the eight sheep into the pens and Pop rang up Broden to come give us a hand to get the eight sheep done. In about 15 minutes Broden was at the farm, it only took him about half an hour to shear the eight sheep. The next day we were all happy that shearing was over for this year, or so we thought… Suddenly Broden said “When do you want to do the other 1090 sheep?” Pop said “What other sheep?” Broden replied, “The sheep I bought the other day at the West Wyalong sale”.
So pop got on the blower and called the shearers up to get them back out. They could come and do the 1090 sheep, thank god or pop woulda been cursin! The shearers turned up the next morning; they started at 9:30 am and got 30 sheep done in the first run. By the end of the day the shearers had done 240 sheep. The next day they started at 9:30 am again, by lunch they had done 170 sheep. The shearers all had a can of coke and a sandwich. Then they got 170 sheep done before knock off time.
The next day they got all the sheep done mid arvo and everyone was happy it was finally all over and we could have a cool drink and sit around for a yarn.