A Lesson Learnt The Hard Way

Finalist in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

“No, this way’s better!” I said furiously, frustrated at the incompetent imagination of my brothers. We’d been arguing for what had seemed like hours. My siblings and I were completing the cubby we’d been making all summer. Our masterpiece was situated on the slopes of the big scrubby hill behind our farm. We were arguing about how we should finish the roof. Walking away in disgust, I trudged up the hill to find some peace and quiet. The further I climbed, the steeper it got until the ground finally levelled out and I found myself in an open space.
As soon as I saw the clearing, I knew it was perfect. Dappled sunlight played in the long grass. When I looked upwards, the trees almost formed a complete canopy overhead, protecting me from the sun. It looked like someone had been here before, because there was a pile of logs in the corner opposite to where I stood. Looking around again, I smiled to myself. Building a cubby of my own would be the highlight of these holidays.
I began to clear a space on the ground for my little retreat. ‘Right at the back,’ I thought, ‘next to the pile of logs.’ As I began collecting twigs and sticks from around the log pile and arranging them on the ground, I heard a rustling noise. Were my brothers spying on me at this very moment? How dare they! Standing up, I tiptoed towards the sound. Suddenly, I sprang back. Pure terror constricted my airways! There was a snake coming out from under a log right in front of me. Not just any snake, but a Red-belly Black Snake!
I screamed in pure terror as the animal slithered towards me in defence of its own hideaway amongst the log pile. Backing away, I turned to run. Pain seared through me as I felt its fangs pierce my ankle!
“Help!” I yelled, as I fell to the ground. I dragged myself through the scrub. Just when I thought that all was lost, my brothers burst into view. Never before was I so happy to see them! Through a haze of pain, I watched as my elder brother attacked the snake while my younger one held me tight in his grubby embrace.
It was a painful journey back home on my elder brothers back. As we travelled, I began to feel ashamed about how I had reacted over our argument. Now, it seemed such a silly thing to have fought over. Before I could tell them how sorry I was to have stomped off, we were climbing through the back gate and Mum was rushing out towards us. When I was inside on the couch and Dad had called an ambulance, I poured the whole story out to my anxious parents. The last thing I thought before I fainted in the ambulance was ‘After this, I’m never going to argue with my brothers again.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!