Dad's New Job

In the year of 2007, there was a truck driver named Harry. Harry had a family. Everyday Harry tried to make his family more happy. But Harry wasn’t at home everyday. He was working. Harry is an interstate truck driver and comes ho on weekends. Every Friday night or Saturday morning, Harry’s 3 children would hear a 550-hoursecat motor roaring down Craigieburn road. We all knew it was daddy coming home. Lisa, which is Harry’s wife, gives Harry and her 3 kids whatever they need. Harry is doing everything he can to please his family. He is building a house for them. Harry wont let anyone stand in the way of his family. Harry’s family are also trying to help, they are trying to find Harry a new job. A job that Harry can come home at night.
One afternoon the friendly paperboy dropped off the local paper in the letterbox. Ellie was sitting in front of the window looking outside while Adam and Jim were playing with their cards. Lisa was cooking in the kitchen and Harry was at work. Ellie ran outside to collect the newspapers from the letterbox. She brought them inside and sat down at the table reading the employment sections. ‘Mum, mum look what I found, I found a job for daddy, I think,’ Lisa went over to the table to have a look at the article. It said:

Cummins Transport
Drivers Wanted
Afternoon shifts only. $25 hour. Contact Peter 0419724342

Lisa had an idea. ‘Why don’t we fax in a resume and dad wont know nothing about it,’ continued Lisa. ‘It will be a total surprise for him.’ She said. They all agreed to Lisa’s idea. The resume said:
Resume
Name: Harry Kouta
Address: 12 Eades Way Parkview 3064
Mobile: 0432 489 32
License: M/C
Employment History
1/ Interstate and Intrastate truck driver.
2/ Panel beater, spray painted
3/ Air craft (maintenance engineer)

Once Ellie got a copy of dad’s resume she faxed it to the company. Then, the next week the company rang the number on the resume. Harry knew nothing about the job so when he got the phone call he was surprised. ‘Hello,’ ‘Hi this is Peter from the Cummins transport, we received your resume and we did look at it very well,’ Harry didn’t know what he was talking about. ‘Sorry I don’t know what you’re talking about,’ Harry said. Then Harry realized what was going on. Lisa and the kids must of faxed in one of my resume’s to a company that runs B-doubles daily but local. So Harry played along with the employer and asked all the questions he wanted to know. ‘Bingo!’ said Harry, ‘that’s what I wanted.’ So Harry took a week holiday from the company he was employed with only to try out this new job. Anyway, a week later Harry liked this new job and ended up staying with it. His family was happy they found a new job for Harry. He got home every night to see his family. They were all very happy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!