Farewell, My Father

What would it be like, to be sealed in a dome, detached from the world and all its people? This house is inescapable, an unbreakable cage surrounded by darkness and despair. Although no bars to contain ones’ self, this wretched torment still clutches onto my soul. The torrents of emotions flood through me as though the wind was whispering my name. Hate is the fire that burns my fury as my twisted father figure Shylock, shadows my life and restricts my borders.
Like waves washing away the footprints on the sand, it’s time to start a clean slate and begin anew. The wind is howling at the moon like a wolf that howls at the night sky. My life, this hellhole must end. Tonight is the night that dreams come true.
Hope is the spark that ignites a dream, the light that shines in the darkness. My heart is an hourglass; as the sand shifts, my hope dwindles. Four cycles of the moon have passed since I last laid eyes on my charming Lorenzo; yet only can we meet in secret. I look down at my male attire. I pray that no eyes may lie upon me in this disguise, an embarrassment to my dignity. Although this unruly disguise endangers me so, I shall not halt until Lorenzo and I are together and content. No matter how far apart we are our love is strong; it fuels my hatred for my father and he is powerless to suggest any change of my mind. Love is a magnet, an unbreakable bond which holds two souls, eternal lovers. The stars beckon me to the window as Lorenzo, Gratiano and Bassanio greet my male-like disguise. Soon I will look deeply into Lorenzo’s gleaming eyes, bright as stars in the night. His lips will be red like roses and his smile will glisten in the moonlight. His gentle hands, still cold, will hold mine tight.
No longer will I be a Jew for I am now a Christian. My father has no influence on my decision, and my life in this eternal cage will no longer exist. I am no longer my fathers’ daughter; I end my strife and agony. Let me be free and become a Christian. He sees ducats more valuable than his daughter, for money is the only friend he has. Little kindness and affection he has shown to his child. I am a tall flower in a field of weeds. A simple child, who desires no more than affection, gained little to nothing of her father’s love. Overtime my happiness melted away and all I was left with was sorrow and anguish. Did he even love me? Did he ever consider that I wanted more than just to live under the stern restrictions of the law? As a Christian you are free to do life’s biddings. Freedom is racing with the birds as the wind and the sky calls your name. Little to none I have felt.
Father, little to none have you gave me and forsaken you I will! Shylock’s eyes are always red as embers, fuelled with hatred and greed. Vengeful nature and destructive, my father will stop at nothing for revenge not even for a sum of ducats. Wherever he goes he fills you with fear, of terror, of dread. Once meet upon Shylock’s glance, his withering glare pierces your heart like daggers of ice. His eyes, crimson coal tears your bloody insides apart. He bears his teeth with a malicious glower. Your joy subsides and nameless noises swell around you. I loathe him more and more by the minute.
My sweet Lorenzo, time will always catch up no matter what haste. Vengeance I will seek for little to nothing of love and freedom have I witnessed! I am a bird whose wings cannot spread! I am betraying my own blood to be with my love. Shylock, hear me now, ducats over your loyal daughter, obey you I do, but as long as the sun rises, daughter I am no more. Farewell, and if my fortune be not crost, I have a father, you a daughter, lost.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!