In The Place You Live

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

I love seeing you, so content in the place you live. You are always there, waiting for me to come in the evening. It is my favourite place of all the places. The cities are always too bright, washing out everyone's beauty. No one ever notices the unique people there, when they walk along the streets, phones in hand, brand name designer clothing and no time to spare. I have always wondered how someone could live in such a psychically constipated environment. Gates and barriers, damns and walls. Then there was you and your small little place.
Where the vines crept up trees and the stars were brighter than ever. Where you weren't surrounded by closed- minded people and cellphones or concrete jungles. Where everyone was content in their own little exterior of life. A place of freedom, of fields, of homeliness.
I never dare to question why we have such separations in our world, I suppose, I am scared of the answer.
I love to watch you and the small glimmers of light on the pond, dancing. I wish I could see your place during the day. I have imagined it would be glorious. The sun rays would waltz on the water, small fish jumping with joy, blossom fuzz blowing in the breeze and, that adorable liquorice rabbit. I'd imagined it was as wondrous as it is at night only the radiant flower beds would glow with colour, stretching up to the sky.
How I dream to touch them, to smell them when they are in bloom. To feel the water as I skim my fingers through. To dance on the grass with you beside the pool. To do what the others in your small town do.
I have never seen what you do during the day. Maybe you dance too. Your bold features would glow as they do in the night. Your dimples seem like craters, large and profound. Your hair isn't noticeable for it washes away with the water that cleanses your face. You seem emerged in the water, rippling and twirling with the wind. Why do you dare to swim in the murky blue when the night could consume you whole? When the wolves howl to their packs on the hilltops and the babies cry themselves to sleep. When families turn out the lights and the streets' illumination dims. Why do you continue to stay with me?
Love, Moon

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!