Oblivion Of Innocence

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The wind whipped my hair across my face as I stared out into the deep abyss of the ocean. Waves lapped at the sand, constantly rearranging the broken shells that were thrust upon the land.
She dipped her toes in the froth of the water cautiously, as if it would harm her at first touch. Once reaching the realization that it was harmless, she frolicked in the small waves like a small turtle on its journey to the sea. Her oblivion was fresh. A reminder to me that not all existence knew of the evil lurking behind the face of an innocent. A reminder that maybe human desire wasn’t all impure and that maybe there was hope for us after all.
Her confidence with the water grew and she soon was up to her knees in the green glitter of the ocean, her instincts driving her to explore. I buried my toes in the warm sand, lifting my face up to the sun and soaking up every inch of warmth I could, never wanting to leave the illusion of peace this place gave me. If only the waves could suck away the evil in this world like they do the sand into the ocean. If only the world could be refreshed of its goodness as often as the banks are refreshed of their sand.
I watched as she waded deeper into the water, her desire for escape and exploration thriving deep within her. I called out a warning for her to not venture too far in, as the ocean was temperamental and could erase her existence in a single second. She asked what the word temperamental meant.
I laid back, pondering how you could love someone so much even if they weren’t your own blood. The clouds danced along the sky, every so often blocking the sun’s rays from reaching my bronzed skin.
That’s when I realized.
It was quiet.
I abruptly sat up and scanned the horizon.
Every lingering thought of innocence immediately fled my being.
She was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!