Tales

I knocked, unsure of what was inside. Silence. Then I heard a loud bang from inside the door. “Help,” someone whispered from inside; then, everything went black. I woke up on the other side of the door, and all I saw were mountains of bones. “No, it can’t be.” I whispered. I had only heard tales about this place, but now, it was real.
I searched around looking for some way to get out, then I remembered the folk tale that only one person has ever escaped... my grandfather! Of course! He knew the answer to get out of here. Only he knew... where the key was! I screamed, even banged on the door trying to communicate with my grandfather. “The s..s..story,” I stuttered to myself. “No one will be able to hear me until it’s too late.” I… was trapped.
“No, no” I sobbed into my apron. There was no hope. I was going to become one of those skeletons with no food, no water. I knew my life wouldn’t last long. Suddenly, I heard a soft hoot come from the corner and immediately I turned around, frightened by the noise, only to see a miniature, winged creature. Suddenly, my fear washed away and an idea sparked to life.
Maybe, I thought, I can write a message to him.
I started digging frantically through the endless piles of bones, desperate to find some parchment and a quill. As soon as I got to the end of a pile, I’d start on the next one. It was only when I got to the bottom of the last stack that I found what I was looking for. With a sigh of relief, I put my shaking hand out towards the writing essentials.
Pop! I turned around to see the baby owl behind me. Strange, I pondered over how he got to be here in just one small pop. I froze for a second, thinking of what I should do next. Then all of a sudden I pounced like a cheetah from out of nowhere clinging on to the owl with all my might. It gave one final pop and then the world went black once more.
I woke up, shaking, lying on the stone cold ground. Where am I? I wondered to myself. Suddenly all my memories of the past hour came back to me like one movie replaying in my head. I jerked my head over searching for the little owl. He wasn’t there. I looked over to where I last saw him. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. There, in his place, was my…grandfather!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!