Sam And Shadow

Sam wandered slowly around his yard, looking at his shadow under a flickering lamppost. Vaguely, he heard his mother screaming at the man they lived with, using words she’d told him not to say. Her boyfriend yelled back. Nothing unusual; this happened all the time. Soon the fight would turn physical. It always did. Sam looked away, ignored the yelling, and instead walked around with his shadow.

A neighbor was walking her dog. She crossed the road as she neared Sam’s house. He smiled at her, and at her dog. The dog wagged his tail and grinned back. But the lady looked away, head down, and kept walking, ignoring the screams from the house. They continued on down the street, and left Sam alone again, listening to angry screaming and jumping on his shadow.

*At least Shadow is my friend.*

Together, Sam and Shadow danced around the yard, becoming one where Sam’s feet touched the ground. Shadow shrunk and grew as they circled the lamppost. Sam played with Shadow. He jumped, trying to pin it down, but it was always a step ahead of him. They ran races, and always tied. Shadow was his equal: his friend.

Sam stood directly under the lamppost, looking at Shadow, small and round at his feet. Faintly, a second shadow started to grow from him, getting darker and taller, stretching out on the bitumen road in front of him. He spun around to find the light that cast this second shadow. As he turned he heard three things; the screech of tyres, a loud horn, and his mother’s scream.

Then: nothing. He was standing in the street, alone under the lamppost with his one Shadow.

*That was weird.*

Sam looked around again, shrugged indifferently, and recommenced jumping on Shadow. He spoke aloud to Shadow, saying that one day he would catch it. And to his enormous surprise, Shadow spoke back. It told him about being a shadow, about getting to follow him, be his friend, play with him… Sam thought it sounded wonderful. Shadow had such fun, such freedom.

*I wish I could be a shadow, too.*

Shadow was silent for a moment, and then it spoke, just two words: you can. Slowly, a soft light appeared. It came from everywhere and nowhere, and was every colour at once. Shadow told Sam that he could be a shadow, too. He just had to walk towards the light.

*I want to, but I’m scared…*

Shadow understood. It kindly explained to Sam that the light was safe. It would make him a shadow, too. Shadow promised to be right behind him, following him into the light.

Reassured, Sam slowly, hesitantly, walked towards where the light seemed brightest. When he got close, and could feel the light drawing him in, he turned and looked over his shoulder. True to its word, Shadow was there, no longer connected to him, but still loyally following behind him.

Together, they walked into the light; two shadows, side by side.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!