Taken From My Grip

I sit there at the coffee table in silence. My hands are rubbing my knees under the table. I'm nervous, very nervous. It's breakfast time, but I'm not in the mood to eat. Thoughts are rolling over in my mind like a hurricane of worries and nightmares.
My dad walks slowly into the room. We don't make eye-contact, we don't speak, we act like ghosts, invisible and lifeless.
The last two years have been a big blur of sadness. Totally unthinkable. My mother had unexpectedly passed away in a traumatising car crash. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was sitting there in the backseat. We were happy— the happiest I've been in a while— I wish I could hear her laugh just one more time. I would give up everything I own to be held in her warm grip for only a minute.
Her anniversary is today. In three hours, two years ago the worst moment of my life had come and met me face to face. My mother had been taken from my father and I. Our lives had been changed forever. But the whirlwind didn't stop there. Later that week, the only shred of hope was snatched from my grasp. Diagnosed with brain cancer, my father became distant from me.
I was all alone, no one to talk to. No one who could stop my tears flooding out of my eyes like a river of distress. I was lost within my own tears and thoughts that I couldn't speak. Words would form in my brain but would never make it out of my cracked lips.
Today, my father is going to get a test. He has fought the enemy growing in his head, but it's not his choice if he wants the cancer or not. I will soon find out if my father has been cured.
I look up, my dad has joined me at the table. I want to say something but my mouth feels like stale bread, dry as my words waste away like crumbs.
'We should go' his eyes twinkling, he stands up once more and heads outside.
***
Thump! Thump! Thump! My head is pounding like a never-ending knock on the door. My dad is currently getting tested. I look around. All I can see is darkness, my mind is imagining the worst possible outcome.
I look at my watch, what's taking so long?
He walks down the corridor wearing a slight smirk. Hope grows hesitantly in my chest.
He looks at me and smiles broadly. 'It's gone!'
Happiness engulfs my body. I must be dreaming.
We get into the car. I sit in the backseat, staring out of the window with joy. The sky is scarlet red.
We are laughing, something we haven't done for two years. Things are starting to look up.
'Finally, some happiness!' My dad looks back at me.
Panic streams through my body. 'DAD LOOK OUT!'
A van suddenly smashes into the side of our car.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!