Years

Years

“Oi Linus! Get over here!” He stays put. What is he looking at? I start to walk over there. But stay wary of what could happen. I heard something scuttle. He seems suddenly more relaxed. Ok, he’s coming back now. 6:30, hmm, better start making some food.
“BEEP... BEEP... BEEP..."It’s my alarm clock; I can hear Linus outside again. Whatever he was looking at, it’s come back. I advance faster. It’s just a koala, but he looks hurt, I’d better take it to the vet.
"The koala seems to be fine, but we will just give him some vaccines and you can take him home. Oh and while you are here would you like to take a check up on the dog too?" I waited for another hour for Linus to come out... But he should've... Should’ve come out 20 minutes ago. There must be something wrong.
“Sir, you’re not allowed in there right now. The veterinarians are testing.” Said a man with thick, brown hair. “Who are you?”
“I’m the veterinary assistant.” I think he noticed the worry on my face. “He’s yours isn’t he...?” I nod “Come with me...”
“The vet’s suspect a brain tumour but they’re not sure, if so, with the severity of it, you might have one, you should make the most of it.”
He gestured for me to follow, so I did. As we turned the corner we ran into someone... She stopped us in our tracks, and then I got a good look at her. Her nametag said “Molly, Head veterinarian.” She looked grim and like she bore bad news... She didn’t need to talk, because I already knew what was going to happen. “You’ve three years to spend with Linus and try not to get the koala attached. Speaking of, have you a name for your new pet?”
I thought of what I’d always wanted to name my pet as a child... “Mr Pinpin. It may seem strange but it’s what I want.”
They sent us off and we traveled home to where I lay Linus on the couch, where he would stay for the next 3 years. He didn’t move but I couldn’t take care of him if I wasn’t home. Mr Pinpin was helpful in that... he took the food tray onto the couch after I filled it up. I spent as much time with him as I could but most of the time I just cried and hugged him. And then that fateful day came when he left this world.

I couldn’t believe it... He was gone. I gathered some people from the town and we buried him in my backyard. Everything seemed normal for the next 2 years. I had a girlfriend and was now enjoying my life with Mr Pinpin and used Linus’ old bowl because I know how much he loved him. But... I came home one day and Mr Pinpin was dragging the bowl to the grave. How long had he been doing it?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!