SAFE HAVEN

I shuffled down the street, keeping my head low and my hood up to shield my face from the rain and any onlookers. Limping was not an option, men in suits and women in short dresses pass me on the street, unaware of what was about to happen.
My grunts of pain could just be heard over the rain and I was worried someone was going to stop and ask what was wrong. I couldn't let anyone see my face, I didn't want anyone knowing I was here.
Men with guns, bullet proof vests and dogs on leashes passed me looking like a pack of hungry wolves, eyes set hard and sweeping the crowd for one thing...
Me.
Every time I blink white light and those faces flash across my eyelids. The images accompanied with the shouts and screams of innocent men, women and children. The tests they preformed on me changed me enough to forget who I am but I will never again forget.
I will get revenge on those who abused me, I promise you. Strapping me to a the table by my wrists and ankles as they pumped a variety of strange drugs into my blood stream. The burning pain pulsing through my blood starting from my arms and moving outwards. My wrists raw from trying to pull away. Those unusual serums changed my biology, all in the name of war. It was something I know about very well, I was losing my battle, the one inside of me, in that empty room.
Barks of dogs and slapping of shoes on concrete pull me out of my thoughts. The sound of screams and bullets fill the air and I know it's time, to uni and escape the nightmare that is my life and find refuge in the safe haven. The safe haven is where I'm going. Most places have been destroyed by the war, but I know I will find something, anything is better than here. With my memorises haunting me, weighting me down.
So I run faster than any human around me can. The words that fill my hearts are the only thing that keeps me going, echoing...
SAFE HAVEN.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!