Falling

The wind whistles past my ears as I hurtle towards the raging sea below. I have given up any hope of stopping my fall by now. I have been falling for 3 minutes and 26 seconds. This is what happened.
When my feet first slipped I felt a strange calmness. I should have been screaming, trying to keep my balance but I just let myself go and down I went. The world slowed down and I could see the tiniest details. The individual cracks in the rocks down below, my shoes throwing bits of the cliff up in the air, the individual hairs whipping around my face. The feeling is almost impossible to describe.
What I felt next was the exact opposite. For about 25 seconds, I was screaming and flailing my arms about, kicking my legs and just freaking out in general. My mouth worked up and down, my screams piercing the silence. My wide eyes searched around me frantically for a way out of this hell I was experiencing.
Then all of a sudden, I was still. But my mind was in turmoil. Out of this world thoughts raged in my head, like a hurricane of words. I couldn't do anything. My brain was too engaged in the storm to pay attention to anything else. The wind whistled past my ears as my consciousness battled and fought with the storm that threatened to take over my body. Then, just as suddenly as it came, the storm stops. And everything is quiet.
One minute has passed.
As I fell, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the strangest feeling. I realised how much I had wasted my life, by throwing away perfectly good chances, by not loving every moment of it. But now that I was going to leave the earth through death, I remembered all the things that I had procrastinated earlier in life. A great sorrow settled on me and I closed my eyes.....only to open them again. I had felt a whisper of a touch along my arm. I twisted to the right, and to the left, but I couldn't see anything.
Then a voice spoke out of nowhere - "Serve me, and you shall have all you desire." I didn't know what to say. "Bow down to me and I will give you whatever you want." I put my hands over my ears, but how do you block out a sound that is inside your head? "Come on," the voice whispered, and then I saw a vision of myself falling to my death from a cliff. I gasped involuntarily. But then, the devil, for I now knew it was the devil, showed me a vision of myself lying safe in bed. "If you just take my hand," the devil coaxed, "I will make that vision come true."
It was so tempting. But I knew I couldn't. I couldn't just take the hand and do the will of the devil. So I shook my head. And I fell.
“Henry, where are you Henry? Henry, you're alive. The whole town is cheering. You are a hero.”
“I guess I am.”
Henry had defeated Silver Skull. Luckily no one found out that he was really Power Pants. The bullies stopped being bullies because of Power Pants and Guardian stayed on planet Earth to keep watch and everyone was happy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!