Twisted Identity

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

People shoved Faith aside as they rush like antelope running away from lions. Her bag full of books dragged her down while she walked around her prison. She closed her eyes and changed the look of the world. Her classmates were now creatures of the forest - fawns, fairies, and gentle giants. They were kind, helpful, caring. They didn't hate her for what she was. The moss was soft and tickled at her feet. The aroma of flowers filled her nose, calming her, willing her to carry on.
“Faith, Faith were you listening?” the teacher called, “I'm sick of you. Go see the principal; I don’t want to deal with you.”
As she walked, she changed her surroundings. The poles became elegant, old trees, filled with colourful birds that sang sweet songs to her. Faith pictured what it would be like to be seen as her true self. Her hair would be short and the people referred to her by her real name.
Faith was ushered into the office and informed of her detention next lunch break. As she waited for her next class she drew on her arm. Patterns of flower and leaves began to cover her arm, slowly engulfing her into the nature. Relaxing and clearing her head, she was ready for her next journey through the forest.
“Why are you drawing on your arm?” the office lady question sternly, “You shouldn't be doing that, go wash it off.”
Faith surrendered too weak to argue with a demon with such an opposing stature. Via water and soap the demon took away what energy Faith had left. Faith continued the day suffering in silence. Too frail to escape to her perfect forest the hurtful words hit harder than ever. She had been trying to stay strong for sixteen years; Faith could not see how it could get better.
As she started the trip to the place where she slept, a plan came to her. Faith hoped on a different bus to one that would take her to the house. This bus was to take her into the city, filled with sky skyscrapers and promises of dreams coming true. This was the answer. Faith got off in front of a tall office building. She made her way up the onslaught of stairs till she came out on the open roof top of the building. She saw a gate way to her forest below. So she leaped off and dived thought the portal where her friends awaited.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!