The Apple Tree

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Lucy felt ill; she stared through the misty water-beaten window of her shameful bedroom. Everything on the farm looked grey and dull…
except the apple tree.

She longed to be out there, basking in its shade, eating its amazing apples and climbing its majestic branches. She loved the tree more than anything in the world and wanted to be with it whenever she could.

When the rain finally stopped Lucy ran outside and immediately climbed the tree, it was so peaceful that she fell asleep.

She woke up to find herself picking up a key from underneath her; she looked around, a lock!
She stuffed the key in and twisted it.

She felt herself falling; it felt to long to fall out of the tree but definitely falling.

“Oof, that hurt” she rubbed her head. She looked around, nothing but darkness, the kind of darkness you find in a tunnel. She felt tree roots
creeping around her, a glimmer of light appeared at the end of the tunnel,
she followed it.

The room was alive with tiny floating orbs that
floated around a flower bud. A voice seemed to tell her ‘touch it… touch the flower…’ and she did so.

The flower curled its leaves around her. Her careful fingers met the soft petals of the bud

She found herself above the ground, she felt taller than usual. She pulled her arm around to rub her aching head. She couldn’t, she looked at her toes, and they were replaced with roots! ‘Together forever’ said a strange voice. It was the apple tree ‘now you are just like me…’

End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!