Ketut And The Rapid River

Many moons ago in a small hut in the jungle of Sumatra, lived two young sisters named Madee and Ketut. One day they were making patterns in the dirt when suddenly Ketut dropped her stick and stood up, “This is so boring,” she cried. “I want to go to the Rapid River!”
“You can’t go to the rapids without an adult! It’s dad’s rule, we should obey him. If you go past the two winding arch trees, you could drown. It’s way too dangerous!" Madee shouted worriedly. “I’ll be fine Madee, don’t be such a scaredy cat,” Ketut laughed as she ran away to the river.
Madee ran off after her sister. She took a short cut so she could get there first and block off Ketut’s way of getting in the river. When she got there, it was quiet and the only sound was the water splashing against the jagged rocks. “Yes, I got here first,” Madee mumbled to herself. “That’s what you thought,” Madee heard a familiar voice. It was Ketut. Madee turned around to see Ketut swinging on a long vine and splashing into the fast, racing, wavy water.
The water was so strong and fast that it pushed Ketut past the winding arch trees into the deepest, most dangerous part of the rapid river. “Ketut!” Madee screamed. “What did I tell you?”
“Too bad, so sad,” Ketut laughed. “Come in. It’s so refreshing.” Madee closed her eyes hoping it was a dream but it didn’t work. Madee opened her eyes when she heard a scream. “HELP, HELP!” Ketut cried.
Madee froze at the sight. Ketut’s foot was stuck in some rocks and water quickly poured over her, making it hard for her to breathe. ‘How could she help Ketut?’ Madee thought anxiously. Her palms got hot and sweaty Then she remembered what her dad had once told her. She grabbed a strong vine and attached some bark to it, threw it to Ketut and pulled her out. “I’m so sorry!” Ketut sobbed, tears running down her cheeks. She was scared and cold and wanted to go home. Ketut never went into the rapids again and always listened to her elders.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!