Take Flight

Rose watched on as the zeppelin floated through the sky, soaring through the clouds. She glimpsed the pilot looking down proud of his fabulous flying machine. As the zeppelin glided out of sight, she wondered what it would be like to soar though the air. And sweep back and forth as the wind gently swayed her down to safety.
She was in a place much more advanced than Earth. A place where people could go from homeless to millionaire in 1 week; and where you have access to medicine that can cure all the illnesses ever known to their people. Children the age of 3 could drive the most advanced vehicles; though their flying machines were still a basic blimp.
Rose loved flying, even if it was just in her head; but she had always wanted more. She wanted the wind to sweep through her hair as she performed basic manoeuvres to glide around a storm.
As she grew older her love of flying and the dream of being a pilot grew.
By the age of 24 she had gotten a job in the only flight centre. Rose practically knew everything about the sky, and when they finally created the first extremely advanced aircraft she was the obvious choice.
A young woman sat at the controls of the first extremely advanced aircraft.
Mission control boomed through the radio, “Rose you are prepped and ready for take-off.” Rose finished the final before flight preparations before she engaged the thrusts and finally take-off.
The air craft darted upwards until the required height was reached, Rose ran until the outside deck was insight. She stood at the railing of the deck listening to the rustle of the wind sweeping through her hair, as the birds joined her with cheerful chirping.
All at once she realised this was more than an aircraft, this was her home.
Suddenly the aircraft started to go down, followed by a trail of smoke. The alarm blared through the speakers. She was losing altitude fast. And finally CRASH!
The great wreckage plunged toward the icy blue sea floor. Touching down for the last time with a gentle thud. The huge wave created by the force of the aircraft, crashing into the water, raged toward the fragile city. As the wave drowned the shoreline the city rose and sank with the tide, relieved it was over.
Hours later Rose returned to the base, greeted by overwhelmed team members. In the back of her mind she was breaking apart remembering the feeling she had on the polished deck of her airborne home. Sitting at the bottom of the ocean.
Suddenly an idea struck her like the force of a tidal wave.
Weeks later it was finished. She glided up and the black beauty of her creation soared into the sky. Her home of airborne beauty.
She soon became famous for her amazing creations. She soon made more and more of her amazing aircrafts until the skies were filled with the flying machines.
As time passed more people invented similar flying machines. But hers would always be the greatest flying machine ever invented.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!