Wanderlust Traveller

Walking through my small town, moonlight guiding my footsteps, yet I stare at the ground.
I pass the cows grazing in the meadow, as I walk from the gravel to the boundary.
There’s a world beyond this small town, filled with new heights, sparkling eyes,
There’s opportunity beyond this small town, filled with dazzling life, neon lights.
I want to leave this small town that has like dust settled in my mind,
I was once content with simple life, now I want to escape, cut it with a knife.
But there’s a boy with a leash to my heart,
I try jumping the wire, but the mention of his name brings an ache of pain, brings me rushing back, needing stitches.
I’m afraid he’ll find a new small town girl, if I leave town.
Who’s not drawn to the wire, who’s happy with cold night fire,
Whose content with lying in the meadow, counting flying stars with his arm wrapped around her.
I am the wire, on the edge of both worlds, I am connected to the muddy earth, trapped to the life of indecision.
But I am fine with scars, if that means I am free.
I pull, I push, I pull, I push, I break on a thudding run, leaving the broken soil behind me.
I’m not a part of that small town anymore, nor attached to that man anymore, my mind is a clean slate for new places and faces.
Walking down my new street, neon lights guiding my footsteps, I look forward.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!