Dear Sadako

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Dear Sadako,

Paper cranes so…elegant, dignified, delicate.

You made so many paper cranes. Why didn’t you just give up? Why weren’t your last words more inspirational? ‘It’s tasty’. Is that all you had to say?

But the courage you had, the determination to finish those paper cranes inspired me. You may think you didn’t achieve your goal but in my eyes you did. You were as close to your goal as you could have got. When your loved ones were withering away from the torment of the widespread, infected radioactive air, rather than being despondent, you chose to grow with courage.

I know how it feels to look Death in the eye as he awaits your arrival. It’s hard to feel as though your life is slowly and painfully sliding away. I was only 3 years old when everything went wrong in my life. I can’t remember that much. It’s all a big blur. I can remember my fearful family. I feel so guilty for causing so much fear and tears.

I was just like you; I was also expecting to die. No hope left to latch on to. Nothing to light the fire within. Pain taking over. You fought, so I fight and we will never let go. Your hope and happiness has been spread across the world and will never be forgotten. You are the perfect role model for a poisoned nation. I was no more special than you so why did I…live and you die? My fortune cookie had an inscription stating that I would survive but yours didn’t have such a happy ending.

Your paper cranes gave hope to those who were lacking. Your arms have wrapped the world’s attention. Your hands must have been worn out. Folding for hours. You remind me of a crane. So elegant yet so delicate, one small mistake can ruin the whole masterpiece. Your courage neutralized the cruelty and cowardice of man. Sadako, I see your soul floating up to the heavens on the wings of a thousand birds. I feel your presence in my journey through the worries of life. You will be my guiding light. Your hands have folded the world. Your spirit will never be forgotten. Thank you for fighting and never letting others negative words go to your head. Sadako, you have showed the world the true meaning of courage.

Your humbled admirer,
From Emily Williams, Lake Joondalup Baptist College

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!