The Scene

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

As I stood, gazing at the dilapidated house, I shivered as though ice had replaced my spine. The cold air enveloped my entire body. The multiple layers of clothing could not protect against this deathly cold. The walkway, leading up to the house was cracked. Weeds and dandelions poked out from the cracks while red roses grew wildly in thick batches by the gate. The moonlight cast a ghoulish glow on the house. Vines formed a twisted maze upon the side of the house, reaching their tentacles towards the roof. The house’s walls showed black decay by neglect. Splotches of the original paint hinted at the house’s former prosperity.

The door begrudgingly creaked open. A musty dank odour crept into my nose. The house was dead silence except for intermittent creaks and moans. Black and brown mould dotted the ceiling in clusters, evident of rain seeping through the roof. I quietly entered the dark living room. The calm moonlight struggled against the grime and dirt covered windows, only thin rays of light could penetrate. Sharp shadows roamed around the room. The sofa and chairs overturned revealed deep grooves on the ground where they used to sit. A large jagged hole dug through the wall stood, as though daring me to enter. Picture frames hung off-centre.

I made my way into the hallway; a slither of light came from behind a door. I approached and opened a door which led into the bathroom. The single window was mildly dirty, a flood of light flowed into the room. Dust swirled around as I made my way inside. The medicine cabinet mirror lay shattered in pieces on the floor tiles. An empty medicine bottle lay in the porcelain sink. The only sound, the drip, drip of the faucet. A closer look revealed a discolouration of the water, a brownish concoction. A lone mouse stood sentry at the bottom of the tub. Never having a visitor in a while, it curiously eyed me before scuttling away.

I moved to the foot of the staircase. Summoning my strength I tiptoed up the stairs. Each step intensified the moaning and creaking as if the steps could collapse at any moment. I turned and met my final destination. The door did not give way easily. A forceful push was needed. Stepping inside, a dresser seemed to have been pushed against the door attempting to deny my entry. I could make out the silhouette of a bed. A toy dinosaur lay, missing its head, on the bed. The sheet was spattered with a dark colour. In the corner, a little chair began to rock slowly. Thin strips of wallpaper showed little trucks. Crayon markings scrambled upon the wall where wallpaper used to stick. Little picture frames remained face down on the carpet. A howl echoed through the house. It was time to leave I told myself. Closing the bedroom door, I carefully walked down the stairs. I hoped I had not disturbed anything from its sombre rest.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!