Facing The Unknown

Finalist in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

A brilliant flash of light streaked across the sky, drawing out cracks akin to tree branches. At the dissipation of this ephemeral scar, the sky was split open once again by a thunderous roar. Cowering under his makeshift pillow fort, Josiah had his eyes glued shut and his tiny hands clutched tightly to his ear.
Now this scene would typically suggest that the boy was scared of the natural phenomena taking place outside the safety and comfort of his room. But this was not the case. Josiah was perfectly aware of rain, thunder and lightning, and he knew enough not to be afraid of them. Of course, at school he was taught the importance of rain in the water cycle, and he understood the electric build-up and discharge that resulted in lightning. It was what he did not know that scared him the most.
It was the things unknown. The presence that would slowly creep up behind his back. The sly aberration that would dash just out of view as he whipped his head around. Josiah had a reason to believe that such a thing resided in his very room! Underneath his beloved bed, no less! To overcome it, he was determined to erect a garrison and stand ever vigilant against the possible onslaught of dangerous creatures. However, during his routine tonight, a curtain of fierce storm clouds masked the usually clear and serene night sky, causing it to rumble and stir with a malicious force. The floorboards squeaked loudly as if a hundred invisible soldiers were marching around, waiting for a lapse in concentration to breach the impregnable pillow fortress. It’s here! The legion of darkness advances! What little courage Josiah could muster was immediately crushed. To him, the constant pounding of the rain on the glass panes of his window sounded like cannonballs tearing his defences apart. In the imaginary battle that waged on in Josiah’s head, he had already lost.
Josiah awoke to a warm beam of light that gently caressed his tear-stricken face. After such a terrible storm, the world outside his window looked strange and fascinating. The greenery was resuscitated by the rain, becoming imbued with life. Elegant flowers adorned the landscape and birds of various colours perched on treetops, singing wonderful melodies. The atmosphere was so surreal, that for a moment, Josiah doubted whether he was actually awake at all.
Perhaps the sudden sight of this magnificent scenery gave Josiah a burst of confidence, or perhaps he was simply possessed by an adventurous spirit. Whatever the case, he wriggled over to the edge and ducked his head to see below the bed frame. To his surprise, there was nothing out of place. No evil spirits or scheming monsters. A wave of sheepish realisation washed over him.
It turned out that Josiah didn't need any of the elaborate weapons, tricks, fortresses or defences he thought was necessary. All he really needed was the courage and bravery to confront the unknown.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!