Pompeii

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Everything was normal that day. Nona was making her delicious pepperoni pizza, and Luca and Enzo were playing with the wooden toy papa had made them. Nothing could have been better, I thought, as Nona placed the burning hot pizza on the cold wooden table. The smell of the warm pizza filled my nostrils and made my mouth water with anticipation. Enzo tried to slowly creep under the table, as quiet as a mouse, to sneak a glimpse of the golden crust of the pizza. “Enzo!” mama shouted, “Not yet, we have to wait till papa gets home from work”.
Crreeak! The wooden door opened with a loud shriek. “Papa!” I shouted, as I ran to the door to great him. I hugged him tight and pressed my face into his old leather apron. Enzo shot down the hallway like a bullet, “Papa Papa, it’s time for lunch” he said with excitement. “OK OK, let’s have lunch now” papa said. Enzo grabbed his hand and ran down the hallway to the long wooden table.
Everyone sat down at the table and started to serve themselves with the delicious hot pepperoni pizza. As I took my first bite, something didn’t feel right. The vase on the shelf started shaking, then it tipped over, the water in my cup was coming out like a tsunami. I looked around desperately; the look on papa’s face was shocking. Papa, the bravest man in Italy, looked scared. “Get under the table!” mama shouted. ‘Crash!’ Most of the pottery had fallen off the shelves. ‘Puufff’ suddenly the room filled with a cloud of ash and pumice, choking everyone. We all hugged tight and hoped that we would be OK. I closed my eyes tight wishing it were a dream.
I slowly opened my eyes to see my loving family covered in the soft warm ash. My family was frozen in time, and soon so would I…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!