Broken Serenity

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The air carries a damp, salty scent, filling my lungs. My feet hang lazily from the side of my boat, sloshing peacefully in the warm water. I look out across the deep blue carpet of the sea and give another deep sigh, my muscles relaxing in the late afternoon heat.
In the light of the low sun, the water is dyed a deep orange. I feel so peaceful, surrounded by boundless water, undisturbed like a pane of glass.
But the stillness is broken.
I hear the boy before I see him. He draws my attention with a loud splash. My head snapping to the side, my eyes dart about until I see him.
If it wasn't for his movement, the boy would have been impossible to see against the boundless backdrop of the sea, but his kicking makes it easy. With every splash, the boy sends large ripples out across the water, breaking the flat surface like shattering a mirror.
Ignoring him, I turn away, and take another sigh, but stop mid breath. Pausing for a moment, I take another waft of the air. My stomach tightens, gripped by an invisible fist. It appears that the boy isn't the only one disrupting the serenity.
What I smell is a sharp metallic taste, dampened by a thick humidity; the smell of ozone before a storm. I turn to glare the horizon, and what I see fills me with dread.
The horizon is tainted with grey haze, a dark wall of cloud moving closer.
Immediately, I have my oars in my hands, the damp, wooden handles chaffing against my palms as I row. With every stroke, my biceps strain, but I keep moving towards the boy.
By the time I reach him, the first few drops of rain puncture the sea's surface. I call out to him, and he sees me. As the boy begins swimming, his path is darkened by the clouds above.
Now, the rain falls in heavy sheets, fat rain drops that slap against my back. The boy grabs onto the side of my boat and I reach an arm out to help him.
It is just at that second that a wave smashes against the boat, sucking the boy under the hull. I scream, but my voice is snatched from me in the violent wind.
The storm is so fast, I can already see it passing over. The wind rages, and my boat is hurled through the waves. I curl over, blocking out everything.
It is just when I do this when everything stops. I look up wearily, seeing what has happened. Everything is so calm, the water restored to its serenity.
I am in the eye of the storm.
Suddenly, a splash sounds out. My pulse quickens as the boat shakes.
I am surprised to see a hand grab onto the boat side, pulling someone up. Immediately, I recognise the person as the boy. Sighing with relief, I hold out a hand, helping him onto the boat.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!