Ben Visits Big Ben

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

On a boiling hot Sunday afternoon, Ben was bored lying in front of the air conditioner listening to the radio. They were giving away a family trip to absolutely anywhere in the world. They were looking for caller 18. Ben jumped up and ran to the phone, dialled the number and waited anxiously. The radio station presenter said “Congratulations you are caller number 18!”

Ben ran outside to tell his Dad who was cleaning the pool. “Dad, I’ve won a radio competition for a family ticket to any destination in the world”. Ben was so excited he did the biggest bombie into the pool soaking Dad.

Lying in bed that night he was up late thinking about places he could go. He thought of visiting the Statue of Liberty in New York, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the ski slopes of Canada or Disneyland in California. But the one place Ben had always dreamt of visiting was Big Ben in London. He had made his mind up and fell off to sleep.

His dream came true; Ben was standing right in front of Big Ben. He could not believe his eyes. The tower was so tall and the clock face was so big and shiny. While standing in front of the tower having his photo taken, Ben was approached by a man. The man explained that he was the clock cleaner and asked Ben if he would like to climb to the top of the tower to have a special view over London.

Ben was amazed at how many steps there were to get to the top. He counted 334. His legs were so tired but he didn’t care. He couldn’t believe he was standing at the top of Big Ben. The view was amazing. Ben looked out across London and down to his family below. They looked so small next to the river Thames. He could also see the famous London Eye, the many red double decker buses and as far as Buckingham Palace.

Ben and his family had the best time seeing the sights of London. They visited the Tower Bridge, they loved Westminster Abbey and Trafalgar Square was beautiful. The London Zoo had many species of animals and finally ending their holiday looking at the wax figures at Madame Tussauds.

Ben had an awesome holiday and wished it didn’t have to end, however he couldn’t wait to tell his friends about his adventures. Ben felt like the luckiest boy in the world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!