No One Knows

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

As I watched from a distance, I could see clouds of smoke gathering on the horizon. I could no longer see the full moon, which was usually as bright as day on a summer night, and even though it was summer, there was not a single glint of a star, or of any natural light. The only source was of the candles flickering in people’s homes.

As I breathed in, smoke filled my lungs. I held my breath. No one could know I was there. No one can know where I am now. No one knows I exist.

That is just how I like it. If anyone knew, I would be in a cell. I wouldn’t be free. Freedom is my last hope. Without it, I am nothing.
I fight for freedom. I long for freedom. I would die for freedom.
As I stood there, in the middle of a field, I saw the owner leave the house I’d been watching for the past week. Finally he left. I had it for myself.

I crept up the wall, clawing at the bricks. I scrambled over the tiles on the roof and heaved myself onto the chimney. I stood on the chimney, watching the town’s lights and shadows. The wind whipped my hair back and forth, but I didn’t care. I felt wonderful. I stood there for so long, it felt like years. Finally I slowly lowered myself down into the chimney. All of the things I felt before were gone, replaced by the feeling of being scared. I hate being claustrophobic. I was covered in soot and I seemed to be all wet. Slowly I pushed myself down the chimney, until I was in the fireplace. I hit the floor and rolled out. Sitting on the table was an envelope.

_________________________

I lied. One person knew I existed. He lived in the house.
I ran to the table and ripped open the envelope.

_________________________

Feathe,
I left some food for you in the cupboard. Don’t go out. People are watching in town. I left to get some money from the bank and buy some fish and flour.
I trust you have been watching me. I will be back in three days time from when I left.
Do not be still in the house by then. I will be bringing back two friends, and I do not want them to know you have been here. They are government officials.
I have made a bed for you. Make the bed back up just in case when you leave.
From,
Ren

_________________________

I dropped the envelope and ran for the cupboard.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!