Kerry And Karen

KERRY AND KAREN
By Ethan Laufer Age 9

One very hot evening, when the roads had thick stream coming off them and the long grass looked like straw, two kookaburra’s called Kerry and Karen were sitting on a gum tree. Kerry and Karen were sweating because they had to keep going out of their comfortable nest into the scorching sun to get wriggly worms for their five little babies.

Then something wonderful happened! Kerry was flying very high in the sky when he saw something shining brightly in the distance. He flew closer. It was a diamond! He remembered his mum saying……..

“If you rub a diamond you can make a wish and it will be granted, BUT……you can only use one wish and then the magic will disappear.”

Kerry was so excited! He hid the diamond in the long grass.

The next morning it was the hottest day of the year! A huge bushfire came racing towards the gum tree. Karen was having a sleep in. Kerry began flying over the top of the gum tree, flapping his wings to warn Karen. Oh no! Kerry’s wing caught alight! Kerry fell down in the hot flames. Karen felt a little tear run down her cheek when she saw Kerry spinning to the ground.

Luckily, Kerry fell where he had hidden the diamond. He quickly rubbed the diamond with his good wing. Suddenly, a huge black, angry storm cloud appeared. It poured and poured so much it stared to flood! When the flood water was right up to the nest the fire sizzled out. Karen was saved! Now Kerry and Karen can live in peace.

OR CAN THEY?!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!