Life As A Rescue Dog

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

"Bark, woof, woof, yelp, bark" the Brobdingnagian rat like dogs shrieked like banshees, trying to obtain attention. I let out a quiet, frightened and lonely whimper as my petite black eyes followed a young energetic couple wondering from cage to cage, my miniature ears engulfed with jet black, ribbon like curls, twitched excitedly as they knelt down in front of my overcrowded bijou cell, littered with poo stained newspaper. I spat out a hopeful yelp as I shuffled closer, my heart leapt with joy as the chesnut brown haired, icy blue eyed woman stroked my small curled covered head, doing before gesturing to the keeper to open the the cage door. My head filled with happiness and relief as the woman spun me around before nuzzling me into her soft hairless neck, "Your part of our family now. I'll name you Bentley," she squealed happily, squeezing the life out of me, I barked ecstatically. It's been so long since I had a family, I was abandoned when I was only 4 weeks old, out in a mouldy cardboard box in the freezing winter weather, but now it's time for a new fresh start.
I poked my fragile head out of the open back window getting the cool, spring breeze ruffle my black ringlet curled fur. I thrust my jaw open and let my tongue glide with oxygen. Often swallowing microscopic bugs, which tasted a lot like chicken, my ears flapping against my fur and the warm, black seat belt tightened my delicate frame. "We are going home now Bentley," the bleach blond, misty green eyed male grunted, pushing his oversized leather enclosed foot on the accelerator. I yelped wriggling my head in tiny messy circles in excitement and knowing this is it, "I'm finally going to have a family and a nice life." I am no longer the poor, vulnerable rescue dog, I'm Bentley the Spoodle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!