An Eternity Of Silence

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Forever I would sit below the rough and rocky roof, in the sad and smokey pits of the underworld. An eternity of silence. My old hands ran through the rough dirt floor; nothing could compare to the bitter taste of regret. I never wanted it to be this way. The memories of my family, with loving smiles and joyful laughter were slowly fading. All the happy times I shared with them, dissolving into darkness. Why wasn't I content with that life? Why couldn't I accept the wrinkles on my face? Why wasn't it enough for me? I feared age itself and tried to escape death. In my earlier life, I would wake up each morning within the bare and dusty walls of my bedroom, with the intention that someday my life would be everlasting. I believed that I was worthy of this God-like luxury, but the Gods were disgusted by my unworthy conjectures. They were offended by my bold arrogance. The deep and threatening voices granted my wish of everlasting life by their own terms, forcing me to forever regret my desire for immortality in this desolate and fiery underworld.

The furious Gods wrapped their gigantic invisible hands around my frail body and sent me to this sullen, smokey hell. The musty scent of the comfortless underworld filled my head. This is where I will feel the wrath and agelessly suffer for the disloyalty of my mortal assets. I could have appreciated life as it was, I should have realised the love my family had towards me. I would still be with my two children, enjoying the simplicities of life, waking up each morning, acknowledging my mortality and enjoying life as it was.

Instead, I sit in the underworld, cast here by the angered gods, eternally lonely. Regretting my longing of deathlessness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!