It Had Begun

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The sound of chattering and coughing filled the trenches. I looked at the small can of food to my left, there was a faded red and yellow label that read, ‘Barry’s Beans’ and a picture of an old man with a horrendous grey moustache next to it. Surely the country could have supplied us with better food options? As I was thinking about the beans, a familiar hand was placed on my shoulder.
“How’s ya’ beans there, James?” I looked over to see Benny, a friend I had made on the first day of training. His camouflage helmet almost covering his eyes, a grin painted across his dirt-covered face. I found it almost admirable how Benny could be so cheerful during these dark hours, constantly in fear of attack or disease, horrid smells floating in the air and rats crawling through bags and food. I must had been silent for a while, Benny looked at me concerned. “You alright there James?”
I blinked. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just blanked out a bit...”
“You’re not getting the flu are you?” Benny assumed, leaning slightly away from me. “N-no, anyway, how are you? Is your leg feelin’ better?”
I remembered, he had mentioned it yesterday, the day when a few of my colleagues had sat down in a circle, talking about our families, partners, beliefs and what we want to be remembered as. It had been one of the saddest days of my life. Strong men, who had went through hours of training but were still weak in the thoughts of not seeing their loved ones again.
“My leg’s getting better, nothing a good night sleep won’t fix eh?”
“I guess,” I smiled. Benny patted me on the back, giving me a nod before walking down the trenches. I looked back at the can of beans, I reached over and opened the can, red sauce oozed out the sides of the can, bubbling in a scary manor. I immediately set the can away from me, and placed the lid back on. I was just about to reach for my water bottle when yelling started filling the trenches, in a matter of seconds the sound of a thousand bullets filled my ears, the sight of bullets darting over the grey sky filled my mind with dread. It had begun.
Even at the darkest of hours, it’s important to smile.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!