Sacrifice In Chaos

I awoke to the sound of gunfire. Smoke burned my lungs and soot stung my mouth and eyes. I can't move, every time I try to move I find agony like a punch to the face.
A scream pierced the night as a pin would a cuishon, then all hell broke loose. I could hear mothers crying, sons shouting and gunshots preceding loud thumps of which I'm sure are from dying bodies.

I manage to ignore the pain and stand on my remaining leg. What I see over the surrounding rubble is terrifying; dead souls sprawled across debris, fire still burning in small and unimportant slums, and around twenty men with swords and machine guns.

A young man suddenly leapt out from behind a rock and ran toward the men screaming. Brandishing a rusty knife, he slashes it in front of their faces in a mad frenzy and with a quick swing from one of the sword wielding men, the man was dead.
Women screamed and fathers told their sons stay strong and their daughters to go hide. "Stop," said the one of the men in a strong French accent. " You will die if you hide. You will die if you run. You will die if you disobey my friends and I."
Everyone stood still and no one dared to even blink. I couldn't comprehend what the men were now saying to each other. Suddenly, the man whom had previously spoke stepped forward. "Any man willing to trade their valuables for freedom will now step forward, any man who is unwilling will be shot on spot along with their family."
I stepped forward, I was reluctant but unwilling to die. The speaking man went to the first father and said,"What do you have to offer?"
The father replied with,"I have three daughters, all of which are beautiful and pure."
"Good enough, you and your family will not die...today anyway."
He soon approached my best friend and asked the same question.
"All I have to offer is a gold ring."
"Does it have a jewel on it?"
"No."
And the speaker killed my best friend, the man who had been with me since childhood, dead in a matter of seconds. He left the ring lying in the dirt moist with blood. I choked back my tears and manage not to scream.
After a few trades and many deaths, he eventually arrived at me.
"You, boy! What do you have to trade?"
I think about this.
"My life for theirs." I gestured at the group of girls sadly doomed to have a life enslaved for violent men. I prepared myself, hoping, begging, imploring that they would carry out the trade. I could feel fear wrapping itself around my mind, twisting into the crevices of my brain.
He swung his sword.
Everything went black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!