Dreams Of Fantasies

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

“I’m home!” I yell out to mum as I run up the stairs to my room. I swing open the door, throw my bag onto my bed and flick on the light. As I walk to my desk, I notice a blue jar sitting on my rug. Attached to it, there was a blank card. I sat down on the rug and attempted to open the jar. It wouldn’t budge. I tried for endless hours, but eventually, mum called me down for dinner and I went to bed.
They carefully placed the twisted crown made of vines and rain drops on my head, and fluttered away. They turned around, and whispered for me to follow. I gracefully stepped forwards, following their sparkling aura. BANG. I sit up straight, and I peer around my room. I notice something glowing on the floor. I crawl out of bed, and see that there is gold writing engraved on the card attached to the jar. It read;
Pick out a stone,
But go alone,
Down to the water,
Sing your dreams but shorter,
Take a little peek,
From the glow that you seek,
But don’t become curious,
Or we will be furious,
Turn into dust,
But touch if you must.
I read through it multiple times, and finally twist off the lid to the jar and pull out a light blue, shimmering stone.
The wind whipped at my legs as I softly sang my most recent dream. I toss the pebble carefully into the water, and waited. The ocean began to glow a light blue, but quicker than it began, it was gone. “I should get home before anyone catches me,” I mumble, as I start running back home.
As I softly close my bedroom door, I see a faint glow form under my bed. I quietly kneel down, to see that my crown from my dreams was floating, leaving a soft, gold aura. I went out to grab it, but I remembered what the poem had said. Turn into dust. But it was too late. I had already grabbed the crown.
Straight away, my body began to tingle. I looked down at my hand, and noticed it had wilted grey. “I thought you could follow instructions. Just like the rest. Oh well. Now I can be free,” I heard a voice whisper softly in my ear. I look up, and notice my reflection was standing up. It flickered, back to my real reflection, and I saw that half of my body was already grey, and trickling onto the floor. “You will just have to wait for the next girl, I guess,” the voice cooed in my ear. The reflection stood up, and stepped out of the mirror. “Bye bye,” It grinned.
I yawned, and pushed down my night gown. Wait. That wasn’t me. I had blonde hair, she had brown... I tried to move, but my body resisted and continued mimicking. She turned and picked up the jar. “Good luck,” I whisper.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!