The Wolf And The Puppy

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

One cold, cold evening a wolf named Moonlight was hunting with her pack. She was as black as the sky at night. She had eyes as green as the grass of the hunter that had once taken her to his home that she had escaped from. She was so hungry. Soon her pack stopped at a small lake.
“Look at the fish!” called Scamper one of the wolves from Moonlight’s pack.
“There are quite a few fish but not enough to feed our pack. Let’s go.” Said the pack Leader, Volcano.
The pack wandered off but Moonlight stayed and stared at the fish.
“Such slimy, slippery, sloppy things,” mumbled Moonlight and turned around to see her pack. “What? How? Why? When? Ha Ho Ha Ho Ha Ho Haaa Hoooo.” Moonlight breathed. “Hauw, WHERE IS MY PACK?!” she shouted at the top of her lungs.
She was so scared. She was only a young wolf, about 19.
“I want to go hoooome,” she sighed and began to cry. “I’ll try to hunt myself. I know I am not going to be very good. I can do it. I’m a brave wolf. I can do it. I’m a strong wolf. I can do it. I’m a proud wolf. Ohh.” Moonlight chanted.
Soon she came across a farmer’s yard. Moonlight crawled through a gap in the fence surrounding the house. She met a dog.
“Hello my name is Moonlight. What is yours?” asked Moonlight.
“I’m Sam,” replied the puppy. I get lots of food, warmth and sometimes sleep in the house. Do you want me to get master? He could get you a kennel, lots of food and water, a warm spot in the house and let you sleep in the house sometimes.” Said Sam.
“Wait, what are these?” asked Moonlight.
“These are just my chains.” Replied Sam.
“And what is this?” asked Moonlight.
“This is just my leash.” Said Sam.
“You keep your warmth and food. I’m going to find my pack,” said Moonlight. “I am better off being free but poor than having lots of food and warmth like you. I wonder where my pack are?” said Moonlight.
“Wait!” called Sam.
“No!” replied Moonlight.
“There you are.” Said a voice.
“Ahh.” Shrieked Moonlight. “Oh it’s just you, Volcano. How long have you been here?” asked Moonlight.
“Long enough. Let’s go.” Said Volcano. “Let’s leave this cute little puppy in peace so he can enjoy his food and warmth while he is treated like a slave. Also Moonlight… WE GOT CHICKENS!”
Moral: It is better to be free and poor than rich but treated like a slave.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!